|Takes One to Know One|
|Season Two, Episode 227 (CA)|
|Air date||Jun/23/2006 (CA), Nov/25/2010 (US)|
|Written by||Mike Kubat|
|Directed by||David Woodgate|
Best Dressed Villain
No Space Like Home
"Takes One to Know One" is a season two episode of Atomic Betty and the season finale.
Betty has been invited to Noah's place, where he is about to demonstrate to her a satellite radio (that inadvertently eavesdrops on Admiral DeGill's personal activities). Leaving, she sees Paloma being chased by Duncan as a result of a prank. Before Duncan can catch either of them, a spaceship appears out of nowhere and abducts Paloma, to Betty's horror. Beaming aboard her ship, she discovers that Sparky and X-5 are being held hostage by Paloma's younger sister, Juanita. Demanding an explanation, Juanita explains that she is, in fact, a Galactic Guardian who is responsible for Paloma's safety. Betty and her crew is forced to accept help from Juanita to save Paloma.
Paloma is, in fact, one of the twin daughters of Golgotha, whose people have the ability to shapeshift into any animal. However, Golgotha became power-hungry, and unleashed a demon who could not be transformed into on her own people; the demon is, in fact, Paloma's father. Without the ability to transform into the demon, Golgotha terrorized her own people, until the couple was ultimately defeated by the best warriors from the other planets. These warriors, in turn, banded together to form the first generation of Galactic Guardians. Since then, the demon had been sealed within a box under Spindly Tam Kanushu's care, and the key to unlocking the box was hidden in a ceramic duck that Maximus had recently acquired. For some time, Paloma's twin sister, Pandora, has tried to secure both of these items, and on one occasion Paloma was the cause of her defeat. Since then, Paloma had been placed in a witness protection program, and assumed a normal life on Earth; Juanita had incorrectly assumed that the presence of Betty would allow her to loosen her guard; however Betty had never learned of Paloma's secret.
Meanwhile, Pandora has managed to secure both of the artifacts needed to resurrect her father, defeating both Spindly Tam and Maximus, and has captured Paloma as one of her sacrifices. Betty is forced to team up with Maximus (intending to recover the stolen duck) in order to mount an attack on Pandora's base. However, it is too late: the demon has resurrected. The combined force of Betty and Maximus is unable to defeat the demon, but Paloma, from within captivity, is able to free herself, and seal her father and her twin sister in the box, using the good powers that she had inherited from her father. The box is returned back to Spindly Tam's temple. Admiral DeGill and Spindly Tam thank Betty for saving the galaxy, while Maximus tells her not to push her luck, as he isn't going to grovel.
- This storyline continues in the season 3 premiere (which is also a two-part episode)
- This is Len Carlson's last episode before his death (prior to the season 5 episode of Cyberchase known as "EcoHaven Ooze").
- After the end credits, a memorium is shown, reading, "In Memory of Len Carlson-The Greatest Character of All" before respective company logos.
- Like half of season 2, it hasn't aired in the US due to Cartoon Network's mishandling of the show. It finally aired on The Hub, however when the show returned to the US.
- The episode Mad Maximus has a decoy box of the demon as a plot element. Notably, the demon hologram from that box sounds and looks exactly the same as Paloma's father shown in this episode.
- This is the third episode in which Maximus I.Q. appears but is not the villain, the other two being Once Bitten, Twice Slimed and Good Kitty.
- Len Carlson provided his voicing work of the five recent characters in the show, but this final season 2 episode was produced before his death, containing a tribute to his voicing roles. However, Carlson passed away on January 26, 2006 because he was truly missed.
- Betty Barrett
- Admiral DeGill
- Minimus P.U.
- Noah Parker
- Spindly Tam Kanushu
- Beluvian Demon
- Duncan Paine
- Maximus I.Q.